Popsa is looking for an incredibly creative individual to head up our in-house content team at our Soho HQ in London.
- Salary: Negotiable based on expertise
- Equity: Share Options are available for this role
- Nearest Tube Stations: Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus
Popsa is an B2C tech startup that uses data science to automatically design and ship personalised prints such as photobooks, calendars, and boxes of prints.
In March 2018 we announced our second fund raise from some of the best investors in the world, including Silicon Valley accelerator 500 Startups, famous brand experts The Garage Soho, Pembroke (investor into Five Guys and Heist), and Octopus (by far the largest investor in Europe).
Our goal is to generate beautiful keep-sake mementos and personal photo-diaries entirely in the background - selecting the best user-generated content via machine learning algorithms before programmatically designing appropriate layouts.
We're calling it a subscription service to your memories; your best photos carefully curated and lovingly presented, printed and shipped to you each month - all without lifting a finger.
Our iOS app is live in 10 languages and we ship to 38 countries around the world. A major new version (as well as our Android app) will be launched later this Summer.
We are generating increasingly larger revenues, growing by 60% month-on-month in the last year. France is our biggest market, followed by the UK and Italy.
Our content strategy is both a challenge and an opportunity.
When you create something with Popsa we act as a vessel for your treasured memories and experiences. From a commercial point of view this translates into thousands of possible use cases across a diverse range of demographics.
Interest in printing fluctuates according to events that are celebrated across the nation as well as those very personal moments that might only mean something to you.
This means we have a requirement for lots of stimulating content to connect with our different audiences. A one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work so we have a bigger job to do that most companies, but because of this there is a lot of room for creative experimentation too. This is especially the case for the rest of 2018 before we conduct a top-to-bottom re-brand going into next year.
The successful candidate will take the lead in coming up with new ideas and will be responsible for putting them into action. The role is very creative and diverse. It will vary from day-to-day according to the nature of the tasks that need doing.
There will be a need for lots of video content – we are seeing great success using video in our adverts – but there will be other types of content needed too. PR pitches, website content and tone-of-voice specific copy to be included inside our apps; all of which would come within your remit.
Your daily duties could include…
- Working with our designers and marketers to develop the new Popsa brand for 2019.
- Thinking outside the box to come up with provocative and engaging content ideas that can be produced on time and within budget.
- Putting those ideas into practice with the rest of the content team (who would report to you); organising any props, samples or actors that might be required. Sometimes this might mean working with some of our customers too, or even members of the public on Carnaby Street.
- Acting as director and producer for our video creations.
- Occasionally working with external agencies to commission larger-scale productions.
- Putting a press/publicity stunt strategy into place.
- Working closely with our marketing managers to identify and then target opportunities apparent in the data; e.g. re-working videos to optimise conversion rates.
…but the role is really what you make it. If something is starting to work more than other things, you’ll be entrusted to pursue it and develop it further; all with the aim of getting the word out to more people across Europe and beyond.
Initially we are putting together a content team of 3 people headed by the successful candidate in this role.
You will also have the fantastic opportunity of working with the likes of Sir John Hegarty, founder of BBH, who is an investor in Popsa and is advising us on creating amazing ad-worthy content.
All of the above comes with the core purpose of doing whatever it takes to create awareness and generate a positive buzz around the company and the upcoming Popsa brand.
Marketing at Popsa
Design at Popsa
In return for the freedom this role offers, we're looking for candidates who ooze creativity and imagination, work brilliantly with people and use their initiative to get results.
- Your are an outstanding storyteller, with a love for injecting humour and emotion into your work.
- You can show previous work on projects that delivered video content online, notably across Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
- You have a strong knowledge of social media platforms and the requirements needed to spark conversation and engage people.
- You have experience in building relationships and pitching to the media, garnering press and national attention.
- You have worked in, or with agencies to deliver memorable live events and experiences.
- You have experience working on creative projects for offline marketing campaigns.
- You can stick to a budget
- You do not need to wait for instructions.
- You have a creative/artistic mind.
- You have managed writers/bloggers and have understanding of the different methods of distribution to maximise reach of that content.
- You have some experience of organising the creation of microsites to support campaigns.
- You have knowledge in growing long-term website traffic and authority through SEO.
- You want to build a name for yourself and go the extra mile.
- You are able cope with the pressures of working in a startup.
- You have a keen eye for composition and aesthetics.
- You love attention to detail.
- You are entrepreneurial.
- Curious about analysing the resulting data.
- We're a close and hard-working team; happy to share workloads and work late at crunch time, you'll need to be a team-player.
- This is not a 9-to-5 job. Startup life means getting the job done and you'll be rewarded with share options for all the hard work that's done beyond the core hours. If leaving dead on time at the end of the day is important to you, Popsa is probably not the right fit.
You'll receive a competitive salary, but most importantly, every employee who passes their probation and has shown they're willing to get stuck in will be invited to take part in our generous Share Options scheme. It’s hugely important to us that everyone is invested in the company’s success.
We'll tell you more about it as part of the interview process.
We have increasing traction with customers and are now looking to scale the business, so this role is for someone excited about the challenge of creating innovative content that will set Popsa up for years of fast-paced growth.
This team is ego-less, caring, hungry to learn, collegiate and eager to experiment. These philosophies should be shared by anyone applying for this role. If you're up for the challenge, I'd love to hear from you.
Our Growth Mindset
How to Apply
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and examples of relevant experience.
Salary is negotiable and dependent on level of skill and experience; feel free to be honest and state a reasonable renumeration level.
Liam Houghton, CEO, Popsa