- Salary: £35,000 - £45,000
- Equity: 0.5% options
- Location: Soho, London
Popsa is an e-Commerce startup that uses data to automatically create personalised prints such as photobooks, calendars, posters, canvases, and postcards.
Our mobile app is live in 10 languages and we ship to 38 countries around the world. We're launching in new territories at a steady pace.
Our vision is to generate beautiful keep-sake mementos and personal photo-diaries entirely in the background - selecting the best user-generated content via machine learning algorithms before programmatically designing an appropriate layout.
We print from the best facilities in Europe and deliver direct to your door within days.
Our aim is to build a subscription service to your memories; your best photos carefully curated and lovingly presented, printed and shipped to you each month - all without lifting a finger.
From an engineering perspective, we like to get things done properly and have maximum impact. Our Joel Test Score is 11.
You and the Role
Front-end developers get a lot of the glory, but they also write a LOT of code. Those subtle animations and interactions take time to get right and we understand that (in fact, our CEO has designed our UX interactions for years, so you'll have a good internal advocate for getting this stuff done right!).
We want you to be as obsessed over the details as we are. A perfectionist. Nothing is more important than our customers' experience and that starts with the parts of our business they interact with directly. You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of world-class web-apps that will delight customers (and your colleagues!)
This is a new role that we're creating, so you'll have a lot of freedom - that being said, we expect the highest degrees of professionalism, and that you'll adopt best practices.
We're also looking for someone who wants to stretch themselves professionally and who is engaged in the tech community. Like implementing solutions with the latest tech? Constantly tweaking your toolchain to optimise your own workflow? People know your face at AngularConnect or React London? We want you!
We have increasing traction with customers and are now looking to scale the business up, so this role is for someone excited about the challenge of creating technology that will set Popsa up for years of fast-paced growth.
Education & Experience
Education is everything, but we recognise there are many ways to get it. You could have a BSc/MSc in Computer Science (or a related subject) but you might be a self-taught superstar. We don't discrimnate on education, it's the results that matter.
- HTML5 and CSS3 (and CSS preprocessors)
- Package managers, like NPM
- Testing frameworks
- Git - we're big on branching workflows, pull requests and code reviews
- Code deployment, like Jenkins or AWS CodeDeploy
If you have a few years of commercial experience under your belt (freelance or employed) that's a definite bonus. Make sure you tell us about it when you apply.
- You'll love great design and appreciate good UX
- Be completely comfortable with RESTful APIs
- Know your way around an SQL database
- Be open to working with NoSQL databases
- Be familiar with AWS Services like EC2 & AutoScaling, Lambda, CloudFront, Route53 — these are core part of the Popsa stack
- We're a close and hard-working team; happy to share workloads and work late at crunch time, you'll need to be a team-player.
- We're sticklers for neat, maintainable, well-documented code that follows the conventions for the language or framework you're working with. We'll expect you to feel the same way.
- We work in an Agile team with quick iterations, regular deployments, weekly sprints; it helps if you've experienced these working patterns.
- We're driving towards increased automation so we expect everyone to contribute to this DevOps culture with high-visibility of application performance.
You'll receive a competitive salary, but most importantly, you will also get to own part of the business.
Popsa has an share options scheme that is open to all employees.
We'll tell you all about it as part of the interview process.
How to Apply
Right person for the job? Want to be part of a dynamic, young team? I want to hear from you personally! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and examples of relevant experience.
Salary is dependent on level of skill and experience; feel free to be honest and state your desired renumeration level.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Tom Cohen, CTO, Popsa