Popsa is a design-led, engineering focussed company that uses machine learning to help people rediscover their best experiences and turn them into beautiful printed products.
We grew about 500% in 2018 and we're now shipping over half a million photos a week to 50 countries around the world.
In November we launched our Android app and within a fortnight over 25% of our new customers were using it - this has significantly grown since and we expect will overtake iOS sometime this year.
Our Android App
- 45% Kotlin, 55% Java (legacy code only)
- MVVM with Android Architecture Components
- Google Vision
- Protocol Buffers
- okhttp / Retrofit
We've written a few blog posts about design and development at Popsa which you can read here:
You and the Role
We're a mobile-first business and we are committed to getting our app experiences right. This is a role for an ambitious Android engineer who wants to work on an application used all over the world.
We're expecting a lot from the person who fills this role. You'll be responsible for how a whole new audience interacts with Popsa and we'd expect you to use best practices, but that responsibility comes with a flexible working environment and a mandate to design and build the best solution as you see fit.
Attention the detail is critical as we've set ourselves of building the best UX in this sector; an app that is reliable and a delight to use.
If you're interested in the future of technology and the impact of AI then this role could be perfect for you. Data Science will become core to the business as we grow, and your personal development will benefit from integrating models, data analysis and other automation techniques.
- Android SDK - you know this like the back of your hand having worked in mobile development for at least 3 years.
- Testing frameworks - you've got experience writing unit tests and perhaps integration and UI tests too
- RESTful APIs - working with core APIs will be essential
- Common SDKs - The usual suspects should be familiar to you
- Analytics Packages - experience integrating event tracking
- Git - we're big on branching workflows, pull requests and code reviews
- Code deployment - like Jenkins or AWS CodeDeploy
- Terminal - your shell choice says a lot about you
- Using a Professional IDE like Android Studio
- Experience integrating machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow is a massive bonus but not critical
- You'll have dabbled with the dark side and know what your iOS counterpart is going through
Salary is negotiable and dependent on level of skill and experience; feel free to be honest and state your desired remuneration level.
Most importantly, you will also get to own part of the business. Popsa has a share options scheme that is open to all employees. We'll tell you all about it as part of the interview process.
Got a Question?
If you have any questions about this role or anything about Popsa please feel free to email us at email@example.com and either our CTO Tom or Head of Engineering Alex will get back to you. Want to have a phone call or drop into our office? Just let us know in your message.
How to Apply
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a covering letter.
We look forward to hearing from you!